10 October, 2010

Swedes and their sweet tooth

The Swedes love their candy and I love their love of candy. The residents of this country are number one in the world in candy consumption - 17 kilos per person per year. (That's 37 1/2 pounds for the non-Metric readers out there.)

It's easy to see why candy consumption is high. First, it's a tasty treat. Second, it's available everywhere. Third, it's in abundance. And fourth, it's really really cheap.

Take a look!







I have already bought a bag. Ok, maybe two. And I had a few pieces of candy in Karlstad. And maybe a few more tonight. But I do lose weight every time I visit Sweden, even though I eat candy like a fiend while I'm here. Maybe it can be the new fad diet. The Swedish candy diet. I'll sign up for that one. Who's with me?





Ah, candy!



A plate full for just a few dollars.

I bought a new backpack and it has a velcro strap on the outside. I've been thinking and thinking about what this strap might be good for. I think I've finally found the answer...

7 comments:

  1. If you get time... why not film (from the street) where the Berggrens lived? Or is that getting to stalkerish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are sooo sweet to pick up not one, but two, bags of candy for me!! You're so good to your Mom! Let's hope you are able to fit even more bags of candy in that strap, I'm certain that you want some too! ;) It's obvious that you're having a great time and I couldn't be happier about that. Keep writing, we're all reading and enjoying every word! Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geoff, erm, ah, a little bit. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Mom! I know just how much you loooove coconut and strawberries, so I bought you two bags of candy in those flavors only. Enjoy. ;) And you know I can always find more room for candy in my suitcase!

    Thanks for the encouragement Mom. :) Love you! Send my love to Dad and Chris too! (Hey, Chris, where's a comment from you - my favorite brother?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gabby, you'd love it here too. There are a lot of pizza shops as well. And there are many street vendors selling burgers and hot dogs and such. Maybe Sweden could be the place for your next vacation. :oD

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've bought food here from street vendors and survived, so it seems alright to buy it over here. You might be surprised how affordable it really is to take a vacation over here. Maybe look into it a bit and see what you think. Might be more possible than you imagine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hear you on that. The ticket price is the most expensive part of the trip. If you can find a good deal, it makes it a lot easier. I'll send you a few price watcher links when I get back to the States. Maybe you'll be able to catch a good enough deal that way. It's worth a try. :)

    ReplyDelete