07 November, 2010

Time

The report from Löfstad church is up at The Jenny Source! It took me awhile to finish it and it took just a few hours for Anja to put it up on the site. Thanks Anja!

The Löfstad report ended up being fifteen pages long, which was unexpected. There are three reports still left to write - Karlstad, Kungälv, and Jönköping. Those will probably be just as long, but they will be finished in the next few weeks. That's what I'm hoping for anyhow.

I'd like to have the blog finished by Thanksgiving, which falls on November 25 this year. It just seems to be a most fitting day to close out the blog.

I still have a pretty good amount of material left to share, so I'll be moving along with posts to get everything online by then. None of the material is in chronological order any longer, so I hope you don't mind me jumping around in the timeline a bit.

With that said, I thought I'd share a little story from Gothenburg. I was visiting different record stores in the city and I stopped by a used CD shop near Bengans. The shop sells older CDs, books and magazines and it's been there for ages, or at least as long as I've been visiting the city. I stopped in and perused a bit because they always have interesting stuff to find. I found some good CDs and books. I also looked through a few magazines. I was about to leave when I saw a few OKEJ magazines from way back in the day sitting on a top shelf. I found one from April 1993 and this is what was in it:



Sightseeing in Gothenburg with Ace of Base. We like home the best!



The headline: Ace of Base takes you sightseeing in their hometown!
The quote: "Gothenburg will always be best!"

I couldn't pass up this article. I just had to buy it.

The band standing in front of a tram in 1993:



The same tram in 2010 with a slightly different paint job:



The band standing in front of Skansen Kronan in 1993:



The same spot, sans the cannon, in 2010:



Linn and Jenny at Liseberg amusement park in 1993: (The printing is a bit off in the copy of the magazine I bought, as you can see.)



I didn't take an updated pic of this statue, but it's still there in the park.

However, I did find a recent picture of it from a blog in Germany that catalogues all the public art in Gothenburg (Take a look at the blog and you'll see some pretty cool pieces placed all around Gothenburg.)

You can see the sculpture doesn't look much different after 17 years:



Seventeen years and not much has changed - at least when it comes to trams, landmarks and sculptures.

2 comments:

  1. That's a really cool post Sara!

    Even the same tram, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I was surprised myself to see the same tram after seventeen years. Then again, the city uses trams from the 60's up to now, so I don't suppose it should be too surprising to see the tram is still being used in town.

    ReplyDelete