27 September, 2010

The Importance of Being Warm

I went out and bought new clothes yesterday. I don't really dress well or fancy, so a trip to the store for clothes always feels a little daunting. I try on a few shirts, look into the mirror, and wonder if it actually looks decent or if I just think it does. I'm never sure.

I was looking for specific clothes yesterday. Warm ones, to be exact. I don't really own any warm clothes. I have a few old, ugly sweaters when it gets down to, oh, 10 C/ 51 F, but that's when it's a really cold day in January. The need for cold weather clothes in this part of Texas is low to nonexistent. However, Gothenburg is a different cookie.

Right now, Gothenburg's temperatures (11 C/ 53 F) are the coldest days we'll see all year where I live. I usually experience these temperatures for about five or six days a year.

This trip will last sixteen days. Two weeks of Gothenburg's October weather is the equivalent of a major January cold snap in this part of the world. That's when our Houston weather forecasters bring out their most dire graphics (Arctic Chill! Big Freeze!) and warn people to bring in their pets and cover up their plants.


Houston in January 09 - Click to see detail:


Gothenburg in October 09 - Click to see detail:




So, I'm all ready for the "cold". At least, I think I am!


Most of you out there are probably already prepared for cold weather. It's likely you have a real autumn and winter with real freezing points and real snow. And a real jacket. Would you say 11 C/ 52 F is cold, or is does that kind of weather mean you break out the t-shirt and shorts? ;)

2 comments:

  1. we could spend a days together at Freeport :) in case you need more warm clothes ;)

    ReplyDelete